The contents of the Super Secret Room differ from the common Secret Room. Depending on what you find inside, the room will also have a specific appearance.
- Backdrop: Sheol
- Contains: One or two Red Chests
- Special Features : Anything that makes something with a possibility of dropping a random item, such as Justice, Portable Slot, Wheel of Fortune, or Judgement will spawn an item specific to Devil Rooms.
- Contains: One
- Special Features: Anything that drops a random heart drop, such as Justice, Portable Slot, or a regular slot machine spawned by Wheel of Fortune, will spawn an Eternal Heart when used in this room.
- Backdrop: The Womb / Utero
- Contains: Seven to eight normal Hearts
- Special Feature: Anything that drops a random heart drop, such as Justice, Portable Slot, or a regular slot machine spawned by Wheel of Fortune, will spawn a full Heart when used in this room.
- Backdrop: Cellar
- Contains: One Trinket
- Backdrop: Necropolis
- Contains: Fortune Telling Machine
- Special Feature: The Tarot Card will spawn Fortune Telling Machines while in this room.
- Backdrop: Library
- Contains: Random Tarot Card
- Contains: Black Heart
- Contains: 5 random Pills
Notes[edit | edit source]
- Secret rooms are found by bombing the middle of a wall in a standard size room. For larger size rooms, divide the room mentally into the size of individual rooms to figure out where to bomb. For closet-size rooms, Secret rooms will never be found by bombing the sides but may be found by bombing the wall at the end of the closet.
- Rooms adjacent to secret rooms will always have a clear, walkable path to the middle of the wall where you can set a bomb. Secret Room entrances are never found in front of gaps, obstacles, or spikes. All the rooms next to a Secret Room must satisfy these requirements, so if one room near a suspicious gap in the map fails these requirements, then look elsewhere.
- If there are no valid Secret Room locations surrounded by 3 or 4 rooms, it is possible for a Secret Room to be adjacent to only 1 or 2 rooms.
A secret room adjacent to only one room
- X-Ray Vision opens all available entrances to both the secret room and the super secret room. The I Can See Forever pill does the same for the floor on which the pill was used.
- Teleportation items can randomly teleport Isaac into Secret Rooms, and XVIII — The Moon card will always teleport Isaac to the Secret Room.
- Secret Rooms are revealed on the map with Crystal Ball, Book of Secrets, XXI — The World card, XIX — The Sun card, Spelunker Hat, Blue Map, or The Mind, but you’ll still need to open their entrance.
- Black Flies and Spiders can sometimes be found in the room, and you won’t be able to exit the Secret Room until you clear out the enemies.
- If Greed or Super Greed spawn into the Secret Room, you won’t be able to exit it (like a Mini-Boss room), but once the fight ends, all the exits of the Secret Room will be accessible.
- Secret Rooms can exist next to all types of rooms except Boss Rooms, allowing certain restricted rooms to be entered.
- Even if you have no keys, it is possible to bomb into a locked special room should there exist an adjacent Secret Room. Leaving through the door will unlock the room without requiring a key.
- It is possible to enter Curse Rooms without taking damage by bombing in from a secret room.
- It is possible to access Challenge Rooms even if you don’t meet the health requirements, but it is not possible to «steal» the items, as the hole will be blocked up as soon as the fighting stage begins. However, items can still be stolen by using Telepills or other teleportation items. The Challenge Room will not be accessible from the Secret Room if the Secret Room contained a fight with Super Greed. Boards will remain over the entrance to the challenge room even after the fight is over.
- Super secret rooms replace the dead-end room that would require the 2nd most rooms walked through from the start room to access, and cannot be connected to the secret room.
It is similar to the Secret Room in the way that they are not shown on the map when adjacent to it without the Spelunker Hat, and have to be opened either with explosives or the XRay Vision item.
Additionally, instead of being located in the typical horseshoe pattern with at least 2 or 3 rooms adjacent to it, this room type can only border one other regular room (but not a non-regular room, such as the Item Room). While adjacent to only one regular room, it can still also be next to the regular Secret Room. Note that the Super Secret Room can be next to a Spike Sacrifice Room.
The room is available on every floor.
Notably, the room will not become visible on the mini map even if you have items that would reveal the regular Secret Room, such the Treasure Map and map-revealing Tarot Cards (XXI The World or XIX The Sun). Once discovered, the map icon is displayed, similar to the icon for the Secret Room but with a darker, faded question mark.
Super Secret Rooms[edit | edit source]
Super Secret Rooms are only located next to one other room, and this room can’t be a special room (item, shop, boss, etc.). Each Super Secret room has set drops depending on the floor. Note that the type of Super Secret Room is not limited to certain floors it mimics (e.g. one can find a Womb-themed Super Secret Room in the Depths).
Possible Spawnsedit | edit source
|ID||Floor layout||Contents||Image preview|
|The Womb||8 Red Hearts. Only red hearts can spawn in this room, regardless of any items. If you let Dark Bum collect the hearts, he will drop red hearts instead of soul hearts. Allow him to pick up the hearts and leave the room quickly, where he will drop the soul hearts or black hearts outside.|
|1||Cathedral||Eternal Heart. Only eternal hearts can spawn in this room, regardless of any items used. For example, using The Jar will drop Eternal Hearts on the ground instead of regular hearts. Using VI — The Lovers or V — The Hierophant will do the same, too.|
|3||Necropolis||Fortune Telling Machine.|
|4||The Cellar||Random trinket.|
|5||The Basement||5 pills.|
|6||Library||Black Heart. Only black hearts can spawn in this room, regardless of items used. This applies to VI — The Lovers, and similar items.|
|7||Dark Room||Black Heart.|
|4 Nulls and 5 pills or runes.|
|8||Burning Basement||A Shopkeeper, 2 Bomb Chests, 3 TNT, and 18 Fire Places, including Red Fire Places.|
|9||Flooded Caves||A black poop surrounded by 6 spikes.|
|10||I AM ERROR||Can include any of the following: Mom’s Hand, Rag Man, random pickups, chests, cards, trinkets, pills and items.|
|11||The Womb||4 red poops and 3 Double Hearts.|
|12||Cathedral||3 Soul Hearts, 2 Blue Fire Places and an angel Statue in the center which will drop its key piece upon death.|
|13||Sheol||3 Black Hearts and 2 Black Globin’s Heads.|
|14||Shop||A Beggar and a Blood Donation Machine.|
|15||The Womb||A red poop, 3 Black Flies and a random amount of Red Hearts and Half Red Hearts. It can also contain a random amount of any other heart types, except Double Hearts.|
|16||Cathedral||A rainbow poop, 3 Black Flies and 2 Eternal Hearts.|
|17||Sheol||A black poop, 3 Black Flies and 6 Red Chests.|
|18||Shop||3 Slot Machines and 2 Fortune Telling Machines.|
|19||The Basement||A red poop, 9 pills and 3 Black Flies.|
Greed Modeedit | edit source
In Greed Mode, Super Secret Rooms have different layouts.
|ID||Floor layout||Contents||Image preview|
|The Womb||5 Red Hearts; only Red Hearts can spawn in this room, regardless of items used.|
|2||The Caves||3 Keys.|
|3||Burning Basement||3 Bombs.|
|4||Cathedral||2 Soul Hearts.|
|5||Library||A Black Heart.|
|6||The Chest||A Chest; small chance to spawn another type of chest instead.|
|7||The Chest||A Bomb Chest.|
|8||Sheol||A Red Chest.|
|9||The Basement||4 pills.|
|11||The Cellar||4 Lil’ Batteries.|
|12||Dark Room||2 runes.|
|13||Sheol||2 Red Chests.|
|14||The Cellar||2 trinkets.|
|15||The Cellar||A trinket.|
|17||I AM ERROR||A trapdoor to the next floor.|
|18||The Basement||17 piles of poop.|
|19||The Shop||A Golden Bomb.|
|20||The Shop||A golden poop.|
|21||The Shop||A Golden Key.|
|22||The Catacombs||A random item from the Greed mode Treasure Room pool.|
|23||The Chest||2 Locked Chests.|
|24||Cathedral||1 Eternal Heart.|
|25||The Womb||1 Half Red Heart.|
Finding the Super Secret Room
Despite the difficulty of discovering the Super Secret Room, there are various strategies and circumstances that can make finding one easier.
- When level is generated, the Super Secret Room is counted as generic «special» room (Treasure, Boss room etc.) and will be at the end of the «branches» of the level.
- Try to bomb the walls of any room with a side that would not share a perimeter with any other room, except if it is the regular secret room. In most cases, it is located at the edge of the map.
Some rooms have monsters that can be exploited into creating a hole in the wall, like Boils, Vomit Grimaces and Gurgles.
If the Curse Room borders with the Super Secret Room, it automatically reveals the room with a spiked entrance to it (as with the regular secret room).
Any random teleportation method (pills, teleport etc.) has a chance of teleporting the player to a Super Secret Room.
Items that replace the player’s shots with explosive shots (Dr. Fetus, IPECAC etc.) can be extremely helpful in finding Super Secret rooms by exhaustively checking each wall surface with explosions.
Any explosive Activated Item (Kamikaze!, Mr. Boom) can be helpful as well, although less so due to the health loss or the recharge needed to repeatedly use them.
- The room can be spotted with . If a player enters the regular Secret Room and this room is adjacent to it, the Super Secret Room will not be shown on the minimap. However, since X-Ray Vision opens up all possible connections to adjacent rooms, the room can still be found without use of the minimap. Once you walk into the room, it will be revealed on the minimap and the usual sound will be played (also works with Spelunker Hat
The Rebirth pill effect «I Can See Forever» acts as a single-floor version of X-Ray Vision, and will thus also reveal the room.
- As of Wrath of the Lamb 1.3/1.33, a different sound plays when the Super Secret Room is revealed to that corresponding to the Secret Room. This allows the player to know which variety of room has been revealed before entering it.
- As with all normal end rooms, the super secret room has a chance of bordering the normal secret room. If you have found the normal secret room and it only borders two other rooms, there is a small chance that the secret room also borders with a super secret room as well.
- In rare conditions the Super Secret Room borders the Secret Room to the one and a «special» room to the other side instead of a normal room.